LinguaVision Translation: Localization
In the translation industry localization usually means translation of software programs. This is a complex area that is getting easier. Most software vendors are aware of the need to market their products internationally and are aware of the strictures involved. So they work as a team with their translation company and prepare the task accordingly; responsibilities are clearly defined in advance.
For ourselves we have developed a global (our localization takes place in Brazil, Germany, Poland, China and Japan) methodology which includes reportage and QA. Most translation vendors will talk up a storm on the specialist tools they have developed to assist with the localization process and although they believe it, this is mainly a marketing ploy.
Because localization is about having the right tools for the job, and software engineers and translators with experience.
We've produced a guide to localization which you're welcome to pick up here
- Localizing your literature
- Methodology - How we do it
- Quality - What you can expect
- Testing for accuracy and style
- Selecting the right translator
- How to get the style you need
- Defining success criteria
- Translation speeds
- What and how we charge
- Tips for foreign language DTP
- Computer Assisted Translation
- Machine Translation
- The world is a multicultural village